On 8/9/17 7:52 PM, Johnson Jones wrote:
given somethign like Threads.threadsAddIdle

which takes an extern(C) int (void*)

we can't seem to do

threadsAddIdle((void*) { }, null);

Because D tries to avoid situations where the type depends on the usage. The implied type is based solely on the expression (in most cases, there are a few cases where it is affected by usage).

FYI I also code in swift, and I run into situations all the time where the compiler can't figure out types for a statement because it hits some weird corner case that causes too much recursion in the compiler. In those cases, the compiler says "please split up your statement into multiple lines". So I'm kind of glad D doesn't go this route, as nice as it is conceptually.

-Steve