I started to look into D very recently. I would like to know the following, if you guys are so nice to help me:

1. What is the performance of D's GC, what trade-offs where done in design , and if a in-deep primer on efficient usage and gotchas of the current implementation exists.

2. GC is never good enough. What are the current plans in this area for D. In general, please point me to the place where current work on D is done.

3. I need to be able to run with GC totally disabled sometimes. In the light of this: - are there any features of core language which depend on garbage collection ? (i.e unbound arrays, strings ..) - are there any features from standard library which depend on active garbage collection? - Please point me to a list where there is an exhaustive enumeration of which language features *and* library features requires GC active. Looking at standard library docs I did not seen markings which identify clearly and unequivocally what requires GC active and what not.

4. Is Andrei Alexandrescu's book from 2009 on D still actual, or the language evolution made it obsolete ?

With thanks.