On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 07:41:21PM +0000, Matt via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Playing around with Godbolt, D seems to generate an embarassing amount
> of assembly for a simple function (50ish for squaring an int vs 4 for
> C++ and 7 for Rust). Even Go compiles to less assembly.
>
> Is there something I'm missing?

If you're looking for efficiency of generated code, use gdc or ldc.
While dmd is the reference compiler with the latest and greatest
bleeding-edge features, it's not known to be the best at generating
optimized code, even if you run it with -O.  If code size / efficiency
is important to you, I highly recommend using gdc or ldc instead.

Век живи - век учись. А дураком помрёшь.