So I finally got around to building from source.

I have builds working just fine on a variety of linux machines, it's just a FreeBSD problem I'm having.

So, on FreeBSD, I can build the dmd directory, and the phobos directory ok.

When building tools directory, most tools get built ok, but the build process stops during something to do with curl..

gmake -f posix.mak -j8  (yeah on FreeBSD use gmake not make)
... (bunch of stuff builds ok.. then this next line)
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
Error: linker exited with status 1
gmake: *** [posix.mak:77: generated/freebsd/64/dget] Error 1
gmake: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Yes, I do have the FreeBSD curl package installed - curl-7.56.0

Yes, curl is in the path> which curl -> /usr/local/bin/curl

So I can only assume my FreeBSD machine is missing some curl related library/package??

Any help would be appreciated.