On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 10:10:49 UTC, J-S Caux wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 08:04:36 UTC, Simen Kjærås wrote:
auto log(T)(Complex!T x) {
    import std.math : log;
    return Complex!T(log(abs(x)), arg(x));
}

Yes indeed I can do this, but isn't this inefficient as compared to what it should be? The internals of arg are presumable already doing part of/all the necessary work.

arg is just atan2 in disguise, and doesn't do any logarithms. I mean, in a way it does, but it's really just a fpatan instruction. I don't expect there to be many optimization opportunities here.

--
  Simen