On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 19:47:10 Nordlöw via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
I'm thinking of my own container Hashmap having its range
ByKeyValue requiring one extra word of memory to store the
iteration count which, in turn, can be used to calculate the
length of the remaining range. Is this motivated?

That would depend entirely on what you're trying to do, but in general, if a
range has length, then some algorithms will be more efficient, and some
algorithms do require length.

e.g. std.array.array is going to pre-allocate an array of the correct length and fill it in, vs. appending each element as it gets them from the range.

Personally, I would store the length because typically a container range is short-lived. It also jives with the container itself which likely has O(1) length.

-Steve