On Thursday, 17 May 2018 at 20:08:09 UTC, Dennis wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 at 15:47:29 UTC, Jon Degenhardt wrote:
If you write it in the style of my earlier example and use counters and if-tests it will work. byLine by itself won't try to interpret the characters (won't auto-decode them), so it won't trigger an exception if there are invalid utf-8 characters.

When printing to stdout it seems to skip any validation, but writing to a file does give an exception:

```
auto inputStream = (args.length < 2 || args[1] == "-") ? stdin : args[1].File;
        auto outputFile = new File("output.txt");
foreach (line; inputStream.byLine(KeepTerminator.yes)) outputFile.write(line);
```
std.exception.ErrnoException@C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\stdio.d(2877):
  (No error)

According to the documentation, byLine can throw an UTFException so relying on the fact that it doesn't in some cases doesn't seem like a good idea.

Instead of:

     auto outputFile = new File("output.txt");

try:

    auto outputFile = File("output.txt", "w");

That works for me. The second arg ("w") opens the file for write. When I omit it, I also get an exception, as the default open mode is for read:

* If file does not exist: Cannot open file `output.txt' in mode `rb' (No such file or directory)
 * If file does exist:   (Bad file descriptor)

The second error presumably occurs when writing.

As an aside - I agree with one of your bigger picture observations: It would be preferable to have more control over utf-8 error handling behavior at the application level.