On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 at 14:43:37 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 7/3/18 10:37 AM, ag0aep6g wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 at 13:32:52 UTC, aliak wrote:
foreach (c; "👩‍👩‍👦‍👦🏳️‍🌈") {
  writeln(c);
}

So basically the above just doesn't work. Prints gibberish.

Because you're printing one UTF-8 code unit (`char`) per line.

So I figured, std.uni.byGrapheme would help, since that's what they are, but I can't get it to print them back out? Is there a way?

foreach (c; "👩‍👩‍👦‍👦🏳️‍🌈".byGrapheme) {
  writeln(c.<????>);
}

You're looking for `c[]`. But that won't work, because std.uni apparently doesn't recognize those as grapheme clusters. The emojis may be too new. std.uni is based on Unicode version 6.2, which is a couple years old.

Oops! I didn't realize this, ignore my message about reporting a bug.

I still think it's very odd for printing a grapheme to print the data structure.

-Steve

Aha, ok I see. Many gracias!

Though, seems by a couple years old you mean 6 years! :) Is updating unicode stuff to the latest a matter of some config file somewhere with the code point configurations that result in specific graphemes? Feels kinda ... quite bad that we're 6 years behind the current standard.

Also, any reason (technical or otherwise) that we have to slice a grapheme to get it printed? Or just no one implemented something like toString or the like? It's quite non intuitive as it is right now IMO. I can't really imagine anyone figuring out that they have to slice a grapheme to get it to print 🤔

Cheers,
- Ali