On Thursday, 8 November 2018 at 16:13:55 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
On Thursday, 8 November 2018 at 15:50:38 UTC, helxi wrote:

Although it's pretty frustrating, isn't it? Now not only I have to think about catching exceptions but also about Errors, and have no guarantee that I have everything under control.

No, you should never catch Errors. They're separate for a reason.

Never say never :) There are legitimate cases for catching an Error or even a Throwable (for example, error propagation in a multi-threaded environment). However, this is not one of such cases.

helxi, an AssertError means there's a problem with your code, it needs to be dealt with by fixing the code, not swallowing the Error.