On Monday, 12 November 2018 at 10:10:37 UTC, bauss wrote:

I just want to say everyone who doesn't use the web-interface has to look at markdown anyway because people still write code in backticks etc. despite no support; even I do that.

Me, too. It's easy and unobtrusive.

As for actually rendering it, Validimir has commented on this in the past. From the D Blog:

First, people using NNTP/email won’t see the rendered versions. Which isn’t a big deal by itself since it’s just text, but does create feature imparity. It *is* possible to write Markdown that looks fine when rendered but is unreadable in source form, especially with some common extensions such as GitHub Flavored Markdown.

Second, unless we’re careful with this, people using NNTP/mailing lists might trigger Markdown formatting that could make their post unreadable. This could be avoided, though, by only rendering messages with Markdown if they originate from the web interface, which allows previewing posts."

And that quote is followed by this commentary from me:

"Even so, he’s hoping to add support for Markdown at some point in the future."

https://dlang.org/blog/2016/06/10/core-team-update-vladimir-panteleev/