On Saturday, 15 June 2019 at 01:21:46 UTC, Emmanuelle wrote:
On Saturday, 15 June 2019 at 00:30:43 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Saturday, 15 June 2019 at 00:24:52 UTC, Emmanuelle wrote:
Is it a compiler bug?

Yup, a very longstanding bug.

You can work around it by wrapping it all in another layer of function which you immediately call (which is fairly common in javascript):

        funcs ~= ((x) => (int i) { nums[x] ~= i; })(x);

Or maybe less confusingly written long form:

        funcs ~= (delegate(x) {
            return (int i) { nums[x] ~= i; };
        })(x);

You write a function that returns your actual function, and immediately calls it with the loop variable, which will explicitly make a copy of it.

Oh, I see. Unfortunate that it's a longstanding compiler bug, but at least the rather awkward workaround will do. Thank you!

I don't know if we can tell this is a compiler bug. The same behavior happens in Python. The logic being variable `x` is captured by the closure. That closure's context will contain a pointer/reference to x. Whenever x is updated outside of the closure, the context still points to the modified x. Hence the seemingly strange behavior.

Adam's workaround ensures that the closure captures a temporary `x` variable on the stack: a copy will be made instead of taking a reference, since a pointer to `x` would be dangling once the `delegate(x){...}` returns.

Most of the time, we want a pointer/reference to the enclosed variables in our closures. Note that C++ 17 allows one to select the capture mode: the following link lists 8 of them: https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/lambda#Lambda_capture.

D offers a convenient default that works most of the time. The trade-off is having to deal with the creation of several closures referencing a variable being modified in a single scope, like the incremented `x` of the for loop.

That said, I wouldn't mind having the compiler dealing with that case: detecting that `x` is within a for loop and making copies of it in the closures contexts.