On Monday, 9 September 2019 at 10:46:10 UTC, Dennis wrote:
Such a shame it got rejected in favor of ugly 'no return' annotations [...]

This is incorrect. It was rejected because the proposal was not solid enough. While it is true that a lot of people seemed to prefer an annotation based solution during the discussion, no such solution has been accepted into the language yet (at least as far as I know). Personally, I favor the bottom type solution and the problems described in this thread could be part of a good rationale for a new DIP proposing a bottom type. It just needs somebody to come up with a solid proposal.