On Friday, 15 November 2019 at 13:15:29 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
On Friday, 15 November 2019 at 03:29:16 UTC, Heromyth wrote:
On Thursday, 14 November 2019 at 19:50:22 UTC, NonNull wrote:
Greetings, Java seems to be almost a subset of D in various ways.
No, it's not exactly right. Java is more powerful than D as for a language. Many things that Java can do can't be done by D. For example, reflection, full meta info for a type in runtime, type deduction for a template, template member override.

See:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4829631/unusual-generic-syntax-arrays-stringaslist
https://www.baeldung.com/java-executor-service-tutorial

Has there been any work done to automatically translate Java source into D?

We ported some projects in Java by hand.

With the compile time reflection capabilities of D you can build a runtime reflection system. Therefore I would say D has reflection.

The other points I do not have enough knowledge what Java provides.

Kind regards
Andre

Yes, you can do everything with D in theory. The fact is that there are many stuff waiting for you to implement them when you are porting a project from Java to D, like the different or missing APIs, language features etc.

See what we got from the portings:

Containers: https://github.com/huntlabs/hunt/tree/master/source/hunt/collection Threading: https://github.com/huntlabs/hunt/tree/master/source/hunt/concurrency