On Sunday, 8 December 2013 at 13:02:56 UTC, ponce wrote:
On Sunday, 8 December 2013 at 13:00:26 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
How is icc doing these days? I used it years ago (almost 10 years ago!) when it produced significantly faster executables than gcc, but I had the impression that more recent gcc releases either matched its performance or significantly narrowed the gap.

I don't know. People say the gap has reduced a lot and you have to use the #pragmas to get ahead.

My experience is that if you write loads of loops that *are* vectorisable, but not trivially so, and then run on modern intel hardware, intel will beat gcc. Otherwise, probably not. It's become a rather narrow target.