On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 at 11:23:30 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 at 06:31:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
We've just enabled warnings as errors in our build system at work and suddenly:

Warning: explicit element-wise assignment <exprnew> is better than <expr>

where <exprnew> and <expr> are expressions picked from the code. For example, this wasn't accepted:

writeAvail_[0 .. buf.length] = buf;

but this was:

writeAvail_[0 .. buf.length] = buf[];

The type of the involved variables were as trivial as ubyte[] and in ubyte[] respectively.

What's the idea?

Andrei

Funny, I can reproduce up to 2.063.2, but not after that.

I think it was removed because detection implementation was not mature enough and resulted in confusing behavior for corner cases. You have already already spotted one ;)