I am Eng. (Electrical Engineer) Fernando Parillo of University of Cassino, Italy, author of several papers about sfloat24 math library. I conceived this library, in the early of 2007 and this library worked in stable manner in the middle of 2010, date of publication of the first paper concerning its usage on a FPGA device concerning the implementation of a control strategy applied to a Power Electronic converter, July 2010. As well known a FPGA is a programmable digital logic device by software. Thus, it can execute any logical function such as numeric processors, digital interface, controllers and decoders only in a single IC. The FPGA architecture contains programmable logic components called Configurable Logic Blocks (CLB), and a hierarchy of reconfigurable interconnects that allow the blocks to be wired together. The CLB can be configured to make complex combinational functions, or only simple logic gates like AND and XOR. In most FPGA, the CLB also include memory elements, which can be simple flip-flops or more complete blocks of memory. FPGAs are programmed using a logic circuit diagram or a source code in Hardware Description Language (HDL). The main motivation to develop this library was to implement a floating-point numerical system on a low cost FPGA device, as an ALTERA Cyclone I. It is obvious that this library could be suitable also for low cost microcontrollers where the ALU has low performances. In view of the circumstances of the new programming language, development, as D language, could be useful to include a short floating-point number format in it, as native numbering system. A reduced floating-point library could be very useful for low cost processors programming. Nowadays low cost microcontrollers and/or microprocessors offer acceptable performances only if integer numbers are used. If you are interested to implement this format in the future D programming language, I could offer my support. For me this collaboration could be an excellent experience/opportunity to improve the sfloat24 math library and the same time to learn more about computer science skills. At moment I have implemented, the basic arithmetic operations, square root of a number, hyperbolic/trigonometric functions, etc. To understand the utility of this floating-point format you could look for “sfloat24 converter tool ver. 1.1” available on the Apple® app. Store. For any questions do not hesitate to contact me by email o directly using SKYPE.

Best Regards
F. Parillo

University of Cassino Research Assistant, Apple® IOS developer
Website: http://fparillo.wix.com/accademic , SKYPE account: f.parillo

Thanks a lot for your paid attention and have a nice day.