On Tuesday, 22 April 2014 at 18:52:44 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:31:07 -0400, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 02:24:41PM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:10:30 -0400, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

>I'm going through some code and thinking of ways to reduce GC
>pressure, and came across a bit that needed to append some >items to
>an array:
>
>    T[] args;
>    lex.expect("(");
>    args ~= parseSingleItem(lex);
>    while (!lex.empty) {
>            lex.expect(",");
>            args ~= parseSingleItem(lex);
>    }
>    lex.expect(")");
>    return computeResult(args);
>
>Now obviously, in the general case (with arbitrarily many >number of >items) some GC allocations will be needed, but the most >common >use-cases are actually only 1 or 2 items each time. >Allocating lots >of small arrays seem to be rather wasteful, so I thought to >use a
>static array as a buffer instead.
>
>The question is, is there a way to take a slice of the >static array, >set the length to zero, and append to it with ~= such that >when it >runs out of space in the static buffer, it will reallocate a >longer
>array on the GC heap? Or is this a bad idea?

TL;DR: Yes, use Appender :)

The reason appending even works is because of the metadata stored in the heap. Obviously, stack frames and fixed-length arrays do not have
this data.

When that metadata cannot be found, it reallocates because that's the
only option.

However, Appender, initialized with a static buffer, knows the length of its data, and stores its own capacity, separate from the heap.
[...]

Unfortunately, the whole point of this exercise was to eliminate GC allocations for small arrays -- but since Appender's implementation allocates a private Data struct in its ctor, that kinda defeats the purpose. For the common case of 1 or 2 items only, it doesn't seem like Appender will perform any better, and it will introduce extra GC
allocations to boot.

:-(

I advocated a long time ago that Appender should have a stack-based version.

I still think that's the case. Because really what Appender has as an advantage over builtin slices is that it keeps a local copy of the capacity, so no heap metadata lookups need to occur. It's not conceptually that much added.

Of course, back then, I'm not sure we had @disable this(this), which such an appender should have.

-Steve

What I said in the other thread, my ScopeAppender is stack based. Very soon to being finished :)