On 2014-04-22 14:21, w0rp wrote:
I like your design. Go forth and make it happen.

On line length, the optimal line length is somewhere between 70 and 110
characters from what I have read. I found one study here which didn't
turn up a great observable difference in reading speed or comprehension
going from 80 to 110 characters.

http://www.perceptionweb.com/ecvp/ecvp03.pdf (Page 107)

This is a general theme from studies I have seen. Results seem to vary a
bit. Something inside that range appears to be good.

I recommend Bootstrap for building sites, as it was worked well at my
company. The designer here is a big fan of it, and when a site framework
makes him happy, it's got to be pretty good.

As for avoiding the SCSS dependency, I'd say just go for plain CSS. SCSS
and other CSS wrapper languages give you some nice features, like
templates for cross-browser support or variables, but I don't think they
justify the complexity involved in using them. We've been using SCSS at
the company I currently work in, and so far all I've gotten out of SCSS
is that it takes me longer to go through the feedback loop of making a
change to a CSS file and seeing it happen in the browser, due to the
milliseconds it takes to compile the CSS file. It's really not worth the
trouble.

I say it's the opposite. I never use plain CSS or JavaScript these days. I mostly use Ruby on Rails where this is built-in and has good support. I'm using LiveReload together with Guard. When the Sass/CSS is updated it doesn't even need to reload the whole page, it just updates the stylesheet.

--
/Jacob Carlborg