On 4/30/2014 11:04 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

A big difference though is the compiler helps you a lot in D. In Ruby,
for example, the main reason we use the unit tests (so far) is to help
ensure consistency after refactoring something. It catchings things like
a renaming we missed, or a removed method still in use.

This has a lot to do with why I don't buy the common argument that dynamic languages are all about "just getting shit done".

Anytime I use them, they just create more work for me. Writing more sanity checks. More hours debugging. More work to optimize hotspots. More time figuring out Tracebacks I'm getting from code I didn't even write or from tools I'm simply trying to install. Etc.

In D, you just recompile and those things are found almost instantly
without needing to actually run any code.

Gotta love it :)