On 5/4/14, 11:16 PM, Arlen wrote:
A couple years ago I submitted std.rational, but it didn't go
anywhere.  About a year later I discovered that someone else had
done a similar thing, but it never made it into Phobos either.
Of course, it's not because we didn't belong to some "inner
circle", but I think it has to do with the fact that D has a very
poor development process.  The point being, something as simple
as a Rational library shouldn't take years for it to become part
of Phobos, specially when people are taking the time to do the
work.

I looked into this (not sure to what extent it's representative of a pattern), and probably we could and should fix it. Looks like back in 2012 you've done the right things (http://goo.gl/kbYQJM) but for whatever reason there was not enough response from the community.

Later on, Joseph Rushton Wakeling tried (http://goo.gl/XyQu3D) to put std.rational through the review process but things got stuck at https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1616 with support of traits by BigInt.

I think the "needs to support BigInt" argument is not a blocker - we can release std.rational to only support built-in integers, and then adjust things later to expand support while keeping backward compatibility. I do think it's important that BigInt supports appropriate traits to be recognized as an integral-like type.

If you, Joseph, or both would want to put std.rational again through the review process I think it should get a fair shake. I do agree that a lot of persistence is needed.