Meta:

However, the community is starting to standardize around Dub as the standard package manager. Dub makes downloading a package as easy as editing a JSON file (and it scales such that you can download a project of any size this way).

Having package manager(s) in Python doesn't make single module Python projects less popular or less appreciated. Most Python projects are very small, thanks to both standard library and code succinctness (that allows a small program to do a lot), and the presence of an healthy ecology of third party modules that you can import to avoid re-writing things already done by other people. All this should become more common in the D world :-)

Did Python have a proper package manager before this idiom arose?

Both are very old, and I am not sure, but I think the main module idiom is precedent.

Bye,
bearophile