On 05/14/2014 06:41 PM, Wyatt wrote:

To me, shared is a type modifier that doesn't implicitely convert to
anything else without casting.

Interesting, maybe this should be clarified better.  Having skimmed back
over chapter 13 of TDPL, my understanding of its semantics are that it
only really enforces atomicity and execution order.  Also, this bit from
near the beginning of 13.12 states:
"For all numeric types and function pointers, shared-qualified values
are convertible implicitly to and from unqualified values."

That sounds kind of at-odds with your interpretation...? :/

Not too much. Those are trivial cases (one copies the entire qualified data, so obviously one is free to change qualifiers as one wishes).