On Thursday, 29 May 2014 at 07:55:26 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
Hi all,

There seems to have been some discussion regarding std.experimental at DConf, as several proposals to add modules to it have popped up over the last few days. Maybe Andrei's keynote had something on it (I unfortunately missed it)?

In any case, could somebody please outline the discussion here? To me, directly proposing modules for std.experimental that haven't gone through being a (popular) code.dlang.org package first seems to be at odds with promoting the latter as an incubator for library development.

It supposed to have a higher visibility than code.dlang.org, but
I agree that there is a certain overlap.
 From my point of view std.experimental should be used for modules
where the API needs a bit more tweaking and some field tests. So
if we already had that earlier, we'd probably have
std.exp.d.lexer, std.exp.log and std.exp.benchmark by now. So I
see it more as a staging area for new Phobos modules rather than
as a free experimental space.