On Tuesday, 8 July 2014 at 17:54:48 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
The first is that LDC now supports linker-level dead code elimination on Linux. If you happen to be familiar with the -f{function,data}-sections/--gc-sections options of the GNU toolchain, their equivalent is now enabled by default. For a set of small-ish programs that make use of different parts of Phobos, I've seen executable size improvements of close to 4x (!) in my tests.

Matches my experience trying things just now -- 612 KB vs 3.2 MB for one example on my system (the hap.random benchmark executable), 453 KB vs 2.3 MB for another.

No linking problems so far, but then, I haven't exactly tried to stretch things ;-)

Now to try out the shared library support ...