On Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 09:16:57 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

I am suspicious. I understand that a situation can be contrived such that C will lose, but in normal, sensible code the only language I've ever seen reliably beat C is FORTRAN.

I'm reminded of when headlines came out saying PyPy was now faster than C in some cases. I got pretty excited (that's an impressive feat of engineering) but upon looking into it, it turned out it was just inlining better than C because the C code was making a function call into another library. LTCG/LTO wasn't even uncommon at the time and would have easily handled that case had it been enabled.