On Sunday, 5 October 2014 at 14:55:38 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

TDPL was an absolutely awesome book because it expained "why?" as opposed to "how?". Such insight into language authors rationale is incredibly helpful for long-term contribution. Unfortunately, it didn't cover all parts of the language and many new things has been added since it was out.

I would also add that it's scaring not having seen a single comment of Andrej here:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3998

Right now I have no idea where the development is headed and what to expect from next few releases. I am not speaking about wiki.dlang.org/Agenda but about bigger picture. Unexpected focus on C++ support, thread about killing auto-decoding, recent ref counting proposal - all this stuff comes from language authors but does not feel like a strategic additions. It feels like yet another random contribution, no different from contribution/idea of any other D user.

+1 on all.

I am disturbed when Andrei comes with proposal that possibly affects whole damn Phobos (memeory management flags) and asks to trust his experience and authority on topic while rejecting patterns that are confirmed to be working well in real production projects. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt Andrei authority on memory management topic (it is miles ahead of mine at the very least) but I simply don't believe any living person in this world can design such big change from scratch without some extended feedback from real deployed projects.

+1000

---
/Paolo