It strikes me that the core question here may be one of the division of labour. The person best suited to signing up for an ongoing commitment to maintain a whole load of different libraries across platforms/settings will only by the chancest fluke be the person who is suited to and enjoys writing bindings to these libraries in the first place.

There certainly is a large part of value in that last polishing effort that makes it not just easy, but a pleasure to install outside libraries. That surely must be one of the things that has worked to Python's advantage.

Beyond pip, numpy itself, and the anaconda distribution, Python makes it super easy for the user who is perhaps capable but inexperienced with the language ecosystem to get started. And quick wins are addictive once you start. Perhaps D's market is different, but I wonder if something could be learnt and applied to the different situation of D.

[For example see Christopher Gohlke's work on building scipy module binaries here:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/]

There are many fewer people in the ecosystem with D, which is why we are talking in the first place. I suppose if we don't have the people then money will help, and I would guess a little would go a long way. I am not in a position to provide this kind of support today, but hope to be so in a couple of years or so.

But I certainly think the idea of making the whole experience much easier and more quickly gratifying might be one worth considering. (I am sure Russell will correct me on the details).

Laeeth.