On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 11:02:39 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
It's a nice idea for generic feature testing flags, but it's a lot of implementation work in the compiler. And it seems odd to implement a big part of a library in the compiler.

I think D lacks a generic project configuration mechanism. I generally want configurations to be located in one or at least a few files that are easy to modify and which can have tools written for them. So yes, this should not be written for logger alone.

I don't know how much work it is for the compiler, but I suspect a lot of it could be written as a compiler extension in D that communicates with the C++ compiler core.

It would be very useful for server programmers to be able to swap configuration for the whole program on a live server when you detect a problem. Third parties could create a GUI tool for managing configuration settings with automatic transfer of new bitpatterns over tcp/udp, or even automatic rebuilds.