On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 11:42:31 UTC, ponce wrote:
On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 10:46:30 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

I don't plan it and don't realistically ever expect it. Considering the fact that game development industry is traditionally one of the worst in contributing upstream I also don't have any motivation to convince them adopt D.

If there ever appears a game development company / community interested in _investing_ into programming language that would be totally different story but also irrelevant to enterprise culture you refer to.

We talk a lot of game developers here, and it's an interesting target but there are many other native programmers stuck with C++ and often unable to use anything else, in the many niches of the world.

What I mean is that the very approach of "how are you going to sell D to X" is doomed to fail because when there is no real product to sell. Proper question would be "how are you going to invite X to collaborate on D" and with such mentality it is only practical to think about interests of people that are expected to give something back.

At some point I have hoped that Facebook would take over D as commercial project but this train has long been gone by now. I consider is good platform for tinkerers, for those willing to take the risk and go for in-house innovation - nothing more, nothing less.