On 2014-12-21 20:37, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

1) versions don't match. Stuff like rvm and bundler can mitigate this,

I'm not exactly sure what you're meaning but using Rails without bundler is just mad.

but they don't help searching the web. Find a technique and try it...
but it requires Rails 2.17 and the app depends in 2.15 or something
stupid like that. I guess you can't blame them for adding new features,
but I do wish the documentation for old versions was always easy to get
to and always easily labeled so it would be obvious. (D could do this too!)

This page [1] contains documentation for Rails, for 4.1.x, 4.0.x, 3.2.x and 2.3.x. It's basically the latest version of a given branch. This page [2] contains the API reference for Rails, it's not easy to find but you can append "vX.Y.Z" to that URL to get a specific version.

2) SSL/TLS just seems to randomly fail in applications and the tools
like gem and bundle. Even updating the certificates on the system didn't
help most recently, I also had to set an environment variable, which
seems just strange.

I think I have seen that once or twice when upgrading to a new version of OS X. But that's usually because your gems and other software is still built for the older version. I can't recall seeing this for a new project.

3) Setting up the default WEBrick isn't too bad, but making it work on a
production system (like apache passenger) has been giving us trouble.
Got it working for the most part pretty fast, but then adding more stuff
became a painful config nightmare. This might be the application (based
on Rails 2 btw) more than the platform in general, but it still irked me.

I haven't been too involved in that part. I have set up one or two apps with passenger and it was pretty easy to just follow the installation. Although, that wasn't production servers.

4) It is abysmally slow, every little thing takes forever. DB changes,
slow. Asset recompiles: slow. Tests: slow. Restarting the server: slow.
The app itself: slow. I'm told Ruby on the JVM is faster though :)

Yeah, that's one major issue. It can be very, very slow. But I also think it's too easy code slow with something like ActiveRecord. It's easy to forget it's actual a database behind it.

My main problems with ruby on rails though are bad decisions and just
underwhelming aspect of actually using it. Everyone sells it as being
the best thing ever and so fast to develop against but I've seen better
like everything. Maybe it was cool in 2005 (if you could actually get it
running then...), but not so much anymore.

I find it difficult to find something better. I think that's mostly because of the existing ecosystem with plugins and libraries available. I feel the same thing with D vs Ruby. At some point I just get tired with developing my own libraries and just want to get something done.

[1] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/
[2] http://api.rubyonrails.org

--
/Jacob Carlborg