On Tuesday, 6 January 2015 at 13:34:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
Maybe a handful of FOSS zealots would leave, but the resulting commercially supported D would be so much better, they'd be swamped by the new people coming on board. :)

If there is a market for a commercial version of D then I think the most sensible thing for a company would be to create a dialect and only distribute binary versions. Maybe a free edition for non-commercial use. The reasons for this is simple: the D community is not large enough to keep a commercial vendor from improving the language semantics. There is no installed base...

I don't think that would be a bad thing either... It would not kill D, it would just create a newD.