On Friday, 16 January 2015 at 21:39:52 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 1/16/15 1:32 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Friday, 16 January 2015 at 21:26:04 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Well good point. As of January two of the css files are in the top 3 most trafficked files off of dlang.org, second only to favicon.ico.

That's probably because HTTP caching is not configured.

Ideally, you'd put the file's modification time in its path, e.g.:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/1421443851/style.css" />

css/*/style.css would point to the same style.css (via internal, not
HTTP redirect).

Then, css/* can be cached forever, as the URL of the file would change
when the file changes.

This is what DFeed does, but I'm not sure if this is feasible with just
DDoc and makefiles, though.

Nice. Wanna take it up? Generally I'm looking for less work for me and more work for others :o). -- Andrei

Also, -1 for CSS minification, if I'll ever want to make any CSS contibutions I'll start by looking at the CSS in the browser.

+1 for gzip and caching. *don't even consider* microoptimizations like this if you're not even doing that yet, whatever gains you might get are negligible by comparison.