On Thursday, 22 January 2015 at 14:54:16 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Thursday, 22 January 2015 at 14:15:58 UTC, ref2401 wrote:
Can we just get back the old design, please?

I think it's a waste of time to make the website look "modern" while what we really need is to point out the topics of interest (better):

What is D?

- Systems programming language
- Native (three compilers: dmd, ldc, gdc)
- C++/C like
- Modelling power
- Modern convenience
- Cross platform
- Interacts with C/C++
- Community driven (free, boost license)
- Benchmarks (+ examples)

AND also very important

- (Build) tools (dub, dvm)
- GUI toolkits
- third party libraries
- Guide to Windows integration
- ... (please fill in)

(basically all the major points that newbies ask about on the forum)

The layout should be clear and simple ("one-click-shops"), whether we jazz it up later is not so important now. I know that hours and days can be wasted with getting the CSS and JS right, however a convenient and clear structure are more important now than shiny icons and the like. In fact, thinking about the content/structure might give rise to new ideas as regards the design. If the design is there first, it adds unnecessary constraints regarding the structure / content, i.e. the free flow of ideas.

PS What annoys me about the modern, tablet friendly layouts is that once you enter a section, you lose reference to other sections, i.e. you have to browse back to the entry point, because the menu logic has changed. Example:

https://ocaml.org/learn/

If you click on one of the tutorials, say "Basics" (https://ocaml.org/learn/tutorials/basics.html), you have to go back to "Learn" to be able to go to the list of tutorials. We should avoid that.

Btw, a cool feature for the library section would be a way to quickly scroll up / jump back to the top of the page, like e.g. the up arrow on duckduckgo.com that takes you to the top of the page, or simply a "back to top" link under each function documentation. That would really help.