As far as I know, the current groupBy docs explain quite clearly what it does. If you find it still inadequate or unclear, please file bug against it so that we can look into improving the docs.

Read the docs now - they are perfect within the context of the style of documentation (and these documents themselves have certainly been improved over the past months).

It is very clear to me, but I am not sure it would be to everyone I work with. The formal library description may not be the place for this, but I do think many less sophisticated readers would find the style below more accessible and easier to follow (this is not about groupBy, but a broader question of documentation to supplement the formal reference description for the standard library):

http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/groupby.html

I appreciate that it is all very well to suggest improvements but someone actually has to do the work. Recognizing the direction of what might be helpful is perhaps a start though. I might be on my own with this view, but I don't think I am.