On Thursday, 19 March 2015 at 22:04:01 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/19/2015 2:43 AM, deadalnix wrote:
Here is what will pass review :

Presumably the reviewers will have some common sense and taste.

class User {
   /**
    * Accessor to get the id of the user.
    *
    * @return : the id of the user
    */
   uint getUserID() { ... }

   /**
    * Accessor to get the name of the user.
    *
    * @return : the name of the user
    */
   string getName() { ... }

Accessor functions that merely return a field variable are bull anyway.

Hear, hear! I start with first with...

public string name;

Then if I really want to change the way the value is assigned or maybe add in some validation, possibly with contracts, I use @property.

(This is only for things which are supposed to be part of the public API anyway.)

I would still document the property, though. I feel I need to justify why every member exists in a struct or class. That's mainly a data layout concern, and that's just how I happen to feel about it.