On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 23:26:38 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
And if you suggest to build both test and normal build as part of single compiler call (building test version silently in the background) this is
also very confusing addition hardly worth its gain.

Making the format of unittest failures better would take us a long way. Then we can script builds so the unittest and release build are created concurrently.

If it is only format that matters you an always change it via custom test runner. For example, we do have a test runner that generates JUnit-compatible XML output for Jenkins - and that was possible to do with plain `unittest` blocks even with D1 :)

Main problem with changing default formatting is that it is pretty hard to choose one that is 100% right. Current one is at least simple and predictable being just an exception printout.

I think having the default using the same format as compiler errors makes perfect sense. Providing extra formatters in Phobos, would be a huge gain, like a JUnit-compatible formatter, as it's a very widespread test reporting format that can be used with many tools.

I agree the key is the current configurability, but providing better default and better out of the box alternatives seems like a very reasonable approach to me.