On Sunday, 12 April 2015 at 19:41:10 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
On Friday, 10 April 2015 at 17:59:45 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
On 04/10/2015 01:28 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:

> A lot must have changed since I  used Vim few years ago then.

I hope this is not taken as an attack on Vim users but from my limited observations at work, users of Emacs use it powerfully and users of Vim use it as a simple editor.

One example is dealing with multiple files (buffers): I and all the other Emacs users have dozens of files open at a time, switching between them seemlessly. I don't even close my Emacs sessions for months.

On the other hand, most of the Vim users keep a single file open at a time. It is painful for me to watch how a Vim user goes to the definition of 'struct' that is already open in a .c file: exit Vim, change directory to 'include', start Vim again with the .h file. Argh! :)

Ali

It pains me to watch "vim users" do this. I'm an Emacs user myself, but I _know_ that what they're doing isn't necessary. I think I know more about vim than they do.

Atila

I personally use GVim with tabs and alias gvim in my terminal to open files in a new tab. I even use :mksession from time to time to save my current Vim session. Often I do like to start again, which I also do with my web browser, because starting from just a few files helps me think.