On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 at 12:20:29 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
Yes really, specially when comparing with Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Modula-2, Oberon and a few other languages not tied to UNIX linker model.

Yeah, I agree that the implementation for Turbo Pascal was good for the hardware it ran on. But I don't think Pascal as a language is easier to compile fast than C. I think they match up.

As a side note, Visual C++ 2015 will be quite fast.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-610

They literal have re-done their linker to use a database model and support incremental linking.

Ok, I don't view linking as part of compilation... I don't think C as a language requires a specific linkage model (only the conceptual compilation units).