This talk is really good and contains a lot of usefull information very densly packed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzzABBxo44g

The speaker has 30 years of experience working on javas hotspot vm and shares his opinions on what you should do. My takeaways from this talk are:

GC:
-You want a fully percise GC (e.g. know _all_ pointers even the ones on the stack), the benenift outweights the cost for tracking pointers. -You do not want to pin allocations in the gc heap as it is to restrictive for your gc implementation.
-GC safepoints worked out really well.

TLS:
To get fast thread local storage, align the start of the stack so you can chop of a few bits of the stack pointer to get to the TLS-section. We might be able to use this on platforms with slow TLS?

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut