On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 at 14:01:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Yeah. I guess that the floating point stuff doesn't quite work that way thanks to NaN. *sigh* I hate floating point numbers. Sometimes, you have no choice other than using them, but man are they annoying.

- Jonathan M Davis

No IMHO, it's not really the fault of floating point numbers, it's the languages fault: gloating point standard contain the 'signaling NaN', if the languages used it by default then the silent NaN many issues would never happen..

Silent NaN are an optimisation which is quite useful in some case but unfortunately the use of silent NaN by default in many languages makes it a premature optimisation pushed by the language designers over the poor unsuspecting programmers :-(

renoX