On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 21:01:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 13:12:07 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 06:45:16 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
There's a lot of stuff other languages can do that JS can't. For example, classes, which a lot of developers prefer to use in favor of the weird object system in JS.

If you don't change the prototype object, then it is mostly similar, but more flexible. Functions are constructors and prototype objects are class definitions. You could also use typescript, typescript playground is quite fun. It allows you to explore the JS output in realtime.

You can kinda do classes in JS, it just isn't pretty syntax. In the D to JS toy I did, I just did an array of function pointers to handle the virtual functions, similar to how D is compiled to machine code.

It'd be fairly ugly to write by hand but when converting languages, it works well enough.

Huh? Dynamic languages have dynamic lookup, how is that different from virtual functions?

Maybe because you need 2 map lookups + 1 indirection instead of an array lookup in addition of the indirect call.

But who know, with a vectorized SSA, it surely will be faster than light.