On Saturday, 26 September 2015 at 10:14:38 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2015-09-26 11:50, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:

*anything* that is perceived as friction is written off
almost immediately.

Yet they still use C++ :)

C++ has its issues, but it's still a great language - especially in comparison to many other languages. And even if the programmer in question really doesn't like C++ that much, they're at least familiar with it and used to dealing with its downsides. Using a new language takes them completely outside their comfort zone and requires them to deal with a different set of pros and cons, and it requires them to learn a new a language, which meany programmers just don't want to deal with. So, if a new language seems to have problems that they're current one doesn't (even if it supposedly has other aspects which are way better), many folks simply aren't going to be interested. It's a risk to try something new, and it takes time. And many folks simply don't want to do that. You tend get similar problems when trying to get someone to use any program that replaces something that they're currently using (trying to get someone to switch to LibreOffice or to Linux would be good examples of that).

Unfortunately, with the kinds of folks that we're talking about here, you need to get pretty much _everything_ right in order to not run into problems like Manu is talking about. It tends to take almost nothing for someone to decide that trying something out isn't worth it if they're not actively looking for something better. So, while we have a lot to gain by improving the out-of-the-box user experience for D, it's also a fight that we can't really ever win. There's always going to be _something_ which makes it seem like too much friction to many folks. But if we can do better, then at least that will make it so that fewer people react so negatively, even if many (or even most) still will.

I don't think that there's any question that we have an easier time of convincing someone who's actually interested in finding something better and actually giving D a shot than someone who's simply trying it out and dismiss it if they can. And it sounds like Manu is dealing a lot with the latter type of folks.

- Jonathan M Davis