On Monday, 5 October 2015 at 15:01:14 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
Well, I am less concerned about those that stumble on the doorstep.

If that is enough to not carry on then they are most likely not motivated and can probably get their needs covered elsewhere.

Respectfully, I think helping new users get a jump start on their application produces an initial jolt of productivity which in turn helps keep someone motivated.

I am more concerned about those that use D for what it is particularly well suited for (systems and OS-level programming) and give up after writing some tools with it.

I prefer Andrei's mantra of "...being good at everything C and C++ are good at, and also by being good at many tasks that C and C++ are not good at..."

https://yow.eventer.com/yow-2014-1222/cool-things-about-d-why-and-how-we-use-it-at-facebook-by-andrei-alexandrescu-1741