On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 20:24:05 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 20:09:05 UTC, Timo Sintonen wrote:
On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 19:00:32 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:

Maybe I am wrong, But I believe that the low level community is awaiting the release of GDC/LDC compatible with 2.067 DMD front end. This will allow for volatile store/load. and hopefully begin a new era of D micro programming. I'm sure this isn't the whole story. but i get the feeling it is a major part of the minimal micro-controller involvement.

Yes, that is the problem but the solution is not acceptable. We discussed about alternative solutions in gdc forum last year. Possibilities are to make something gdc specific or to use a custom data type. It was seen good to build this feature somehow into gdc but on the other hand there is a need to keep gdc as close to dmd as possible.

In what way is the solution unacceptable?

Solution is not easy to use.
Solution is does not solve problem.
Solution is not easy/possible to implement.
Can not be implemented in a uniform way.

Just curious? perhaps a link to the discussion would be good enough. thanks.

It is not easy to use.
This is just my personal opinion.

There were 3 debates in general forum and some discussions in gdc forum. (this is mostly gdc specific anyway) I have no interest to start a new debate or dig the archive for old things. If you want to search, I think something may be found around september last year.