On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 20:13:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Now each of these arrays we organize as a max heap. Moreover, we arrange data such that the maximums of these heaps are in INCREASING order. That means the smallest element of the entire (initial) array is at the first position, then followed by the next 4 smallest organized in a max heap, followed by the next 9 smallest organized in a max heap, ... etc. There are a total of O(sqrt n) heaps, and each has O(sqrt n) elements.

Isn't the size of each heap a little larger than O(sqrt n)? The total number of elements you can hold in k heaps is equal to the kth square pyramidal number, which is of size O(k^3), so the largest heap is of size k^2 = O(n^(2/3))