On Thursday, 28 January 2016 at 22:30:51 UTC, nbro wrote:
I have loved C++ when I first started learning it a pair of years ago (then I stopped for some time for some work reasons), and quite recently I have discovered D, which seems apparently a better language from the design point of view, especially in supporting OO design and modularisation, maybe I am just wrong since I know just a little of D so far, but I really had some problems just in setting up a simple OO project, i.e. importing classes, there are .h and .cpp files, etc, which only make everything confusing and make you learn stupid things instead of being productive. D also seems to have a cleaner syntax in general. C++ is becoming more and more a mess because they keep introducing new functionalities to make C++ compete with new languages, and I'm starting hating it. Languages should not just be powerful but simple enough to be productive.

Apart from this, what are the real advantages of D over Rust? They seem to be similar languages in what they want to achieve. Rust seems to be younger and the syntax seems to be slightly different from the C-like syntax. I am not such concerned or interested with the syntax advantages of a language over the other, but more about in general what one does better than the other. Overall, which one has a better design and a more promising future? Which one is more performant, in which situations? If you could answer all these questions it would be nice. I'm still deciding which one to learn and invest my time on, but I would like to have also your more experienced and expert opinion.

Learn both. You will be a better programmer for it and will be in a position to make up your own mind which one *you* prefer.

I come from a heavy C/C++/Java/Python background and for me productivity is paramount. Syntax is very important because it has an impact on my productivity. I find Rust syntax really annoying. Little things in D like UFCS and optional parens make a huge difference. Big things like D templates and compile time reflection power is so easy to tap into and use that it drives Rust into the ground. For me memory safety is not a problem. Yes it bites occasionally, but never enough that its worth giving up productivity everywhere else.

bye,
lobo