On Friday, 5 February 2016 at 15:13:56 UTC, tn wrote:
On Thursday, 4 February 2016 at 20:30:57 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
At most 6 comparisons, <=3 swaps, idempotent (optimal number of swaps):

Inspired by this, I made four other versions of the function that are shorter but make more swaps (at most 4, 6, 7 and 8 swaps respectively). Each makes 6 comparisons and should be idempotent.

http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/1c53d8f432f7

Very nice! I'm curious, to both you and Timon, how did you go about writing these and coming up with the solutions? I'm not sure if I could come up with these results myself and so quickly at that.