On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 02:48:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 2/24/2016 6:05 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I've also heard from big users who want the performance more than compile time
and hit difficulty in build scaling..

I know that performance trumps all for many users. But we can have both - dmd and ldc/gdc.

My point is that compile speed is a valuable and distinguishing feature of D. It's one that I have to constantly maintain, or it bit rots away. It's one that people regularly dismiss as unimportant. Sometimes it seems I'm the only one working on the compiler who cares about it.

For comparison, C++ compiles like a pig, I've read that Rust compiles like a pig, and Go makes a lot of hay for compiling fast.

Maybe in the future, when ldc/gdc catches up versions with dmd, we can combine them into a bundle for downloads? Then new people can just download the compiler bundle and run dmd or ldc/gdc as they like.