On Thursday, 17 March 2016 at 15:49:07 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On 03/17/2016 07:15 AM, Piotrek wrote:
As for dub I don't think it is unrelated. Why std.build couldn't be dependency manager?

For same reason you don't want to distribute any other non-trivial tools as sources :) Compilation takes time and has non-trivial dependencies (i.e. networking libraries, git providers etc.), you simply can't put that stuff as a stdlib module/package and expect developers to compile it each time.

Hmm, the build module could be compiled once. It sources are supposed to stay unchanged, right?

Tight coupling of dependency management and build tool in one entity is just too inflexible. This is single biggest issue I have with dub in its current form.

Can you explain it by example (I don't mean dub problems, which I agree exist, but the inflexibility in general)?
I can't see a conflict between the two functionalities.

Piotrek