On 4/13/2016 5:31 PM, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 at 22:58:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
The compiler could be fairly easily compute cyclomatic complexity, but how
that would be used to determine max time escapes me.

For example, how many times would a particular loop be executed? Isn't this
the halting problem, i.e. not computable?

The first step is simple - we care only about functions being
constant-time. Let's invent a @keyword for that: @constanttime.

@constanttime functions can only call other functions marked
@constanttime, and may not contain conditionals, gotos or
while-loops.

@constanttime functions may contain for and foreach-loops, iff
the number of iterations are known at compile-time, and 'break'
is never used.

Very interesting. Recursion would have to be disallowed as well.

The part about conditionals seems a bit harsh, but it's got to
be there for determinism.

Understood.

Not knowing Nordlöw's use case I can't say for sure what he
actually needs.

Your ideas are good. Let's see what Nordlöw says.